To view our 2nd episode of Cooking with Community Life, please click HERE! If you are interested in sharing a recipe with the rest of the parish, please contact Sherry Neese. Below you will find the ingredients and recipe for this gumbo. We hope you enjoy (the staff sure did :) )!!
1/2 c. All purpose flour
1/2 c. Vegetable oil
1 Large onion(diced)
1 Green bell pepper(diced)
1 c. Celery(diced)
1 lb. Conecuh Sausage(or your favorite sausage)
2 qts. Chicken bone broth
1 tsp. Garlic
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1 tbsp. Louisiana hot sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Bay Leaves
2 lbs. Peeled Gulf Shrimp (I got ours from Bon Air Seafood, but you can use any kind of shrimp)
1 -5 oz. Bag Okra
1. Start by adding your oil to a hot pan. Slowly add in the flour, whisking vigorously. Continue to whisk vigorously until your roux is about the color of dark chocolate and you have more of a paste than a liquid.
2. Once the roux is a dark chocolate color, add in your Trinity(onions, bell pepper and celery) and sausage. Cook until tender and the mix has created its own liquid.
3. Add the chicken bone broth and water bring to a simmer and add spices.
4. Turn heat up and bring to. a boil. Once boiling, add shrimp and okra.
5. Turn gumbo down to low and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Serve with rice and french bread.